Articles, books, and movie of interest – March 3, 2014
Howard Friedman, Religion Clause
- Nicole Jones, Did Fortune Tellers See this Coming? Spiritual Counseling, Professional Speech, and the First Amendment, (February 13, 2014).
- Allison G. Morrow, Will Your Religion Allow You…to Live? The Mature Minor Doctrine, Religious Exemptions, and a Look into Louisiana Law, (December 1, 2013).
- Mark L. Movsesian, Defining Religion in American Law: Psychic Sophie and the Rise of the Nones, (Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies Research Paper No. 2014/19 (2014)).
- Ian C. Bartrum, The Curious Case of Legislative Prayer: Town of Greece v. Galloway, (Northwestern University Law Review Online Vol. 108, p. 218, 2014).
- Steven Douglas Smith, Is God Irrelevant?, (Boston University Law Review, Forthcoming).
- Caroline King, The Most Reasonable Standard: Why Justice O’Connor’s Endorsement Test Applying the Reasonable Observer Should Be the Preferred Test for Evaluating Establishment Clause Violations, (February 7, 2014).
- James M. Oleske, Interracial and Same-Sex Marriages: Similar Religious Objections, Very Different Responses, (Harvard Civil Rights-Civil Liberties Law Review (CR-CL), Vol. 50, Forthcoming).
- Priscilla J. Smith, Who Decides Conscience? RFRA’s Catch 22, (Brooklyn Journal of Law and Policy, Forthcoming).
- Courtney M. Cahill & Geoffrey Christopher Rapp, Does the Public Care How the Supreme Court Reasons? Empirical Evidence from a National Experiment and Normative Concerns in the Case of Same-Sex Marriage, (93 North Carolina Law Review, 2014, Forthcoming).
- Cary Franklin, Discriminatory Animus, (A Nation of Widening Opportunities? The Civil Rights Act at Fifty (Samuel Bagenstos and Ellen Katz, eds., University of Michigan Press 2014)).
- SpearIt, Muslim Radicalization in Prison: Responding with Sound Penal Policy or the Sound of Alarm?, (Gonzaga Law Review, Vol. 49, No. 1, 2014).
From SSRN (non-U.S. law):
- Steven Douglas Smith, West and East: the Continuity of Persons, (San Diego Legal Studies Paper No. 14-141 (Feb. 2014)).
- Paula Defensor Knack, Legal Frameworks and Land Issues in Muslim Mindanao, (in Land and Post-conflict Peacebuilding, Jon Unruh & Rhodri Williams (eds.), Earthscan, 2013, pp 451-474).
- Gustavo Ariel Kaufman, Racial Discrimination vs. Religious Freedom in the JFS Decision, (February 19, 2014).
- Ioanna Tourkochoriti, Should Hate Speech Be Protected? Group Defamation, Party Bans, Holocaust Denial and the Divide between (France) Europe and the United States, (45 Columbia Human Rights Law Review (2014), Forthcoming).
SCOTUS Blog Contraceptive Mandate Symposium (Feb. 24-28, 2014):